Physical exercise and mental health
Today, October 10, WHO celebrates World Mental Health Day, with the aim of raising public awareness about mental health problems, also taking advantage of the debate about prevention and treatment of these pathologies. This year's theme is "Depression, a global crisis." I want to take this opportunity to remember the usefulness of physical exercise and healthy lifestyle as therapy to improve mental health.
Depression affects more than 350 million people of all ages and in all communities, and contributes significantly to the global burden of disease. Effective treatments against depression are available, but access to them is problematic in most countries, and in some it is only received by less than 10% of people who need it, according to WHO data (textual citation). I think it is interesting to remember that there are certain actions, added to medical treatment, that can be Useful steps to relieve some mental health problems.
Mental illness is a very broad field that encompasses a very wide range of pathologies with various symptoms. From problems of anxiety and depression in adults to attention deficits and hyperactivity affecting children, there is a very wide range of pathologies that, unfortunately, are very frequent in our society. That's why I want to emphasize that mental illness is not confined to asylum, nor is it something of "crazy." Mental health problems, in different manifestations, affect children, adults and the elderly of all ages and conditions.
Healthy habits in mental health problems
Recently we talked about the subject in Vitonica, because on that very recent occasion (few days) the world depression day. Since depression is such a widespread mental health problem, it is still present today, despite having its own day dedicated to memory and awareness. Depression, like other mental health problems, can be improved, in some cases, with certain therapies related to physical exercise, general health care and healthy lifestyle.
- For example, we talked about that physiotherapy can help in depression, by applying techniques to relieve pain, relax and encourage physical activity of these people. Also giving advice on healthy lifestyle, where they also have a lot to say other health and physical activity professionals.
- A proper feeding, as well as avoiding harmful habitsIt is also positive to relieve some of the symptoms of some mental health problems. In fact, poor diet can boost depressive symptoms.
- Search for activities and hobbies It is highly recommended to improve the feeling of well-being in some mental health disorders. These activities include, for example, the practice of sports and leisure activities, walks, hiking, outdoor activities, etc.
- Activities and therapies with animals are also useful in these cases and at all ages. whether children, seniors, or adults.
- Personalized programs of physical exercise, promoting health care and the creation of social support networks, being able to make new friends during the sessions, are also effective in improving some mental health problems.
In short, let's not forget that mental health is a very broad field with widespread diseases that affect a large number of people (mainly anxiety and depression) and that, to some extent, they can benefit from healthy habits of exercise, activity and social support, so Do not remove or try to hide this type of pathology, but expose them and give them the importance they have, investing resources, means and disseminating information to, among all, support the fight and care for this type of pathologies.